[sane-devel] Schedule for release of sane-backends 1.0.25

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:39:47 UTC 2015

Thanks for the mention Olaf,

Adding more to the subject, there are more patches (including some not
mine) which would be interesting to be upstreamed:

https://github.com/luizluca/openwrt-packages/tree/sane/utils/sane-backends/patches
I'll try to explain their motivations:
* 002-remove-uneeded.patch: as configure does not offer an option to
disable docs and tests, this was done with a patch. I would be interesting
to have --disable-docs and --disable-testsuites
* 010-dont-add-host-include-path.patch: search for header using absolute
path is problematic by itself. For cross-compiling, this is prohibit as
headers are not from the host machine.
* 020-inb_outb.patch: this is already commented in previous message to
maillist
* 030-musl.patch: the u_char/u_long fix. Maybe some autoconf check could
deal with this.
* 040-remove-cups-deps.patch: this I got from sane-devel, so it is already
merged.
* 050-remove_linked_libs_for_unused_preload.patch: Currently, libsane link
is somehow bruteforce. It links any library a backend might need. As
already commented inside the Makefile, the correct behavior would be to
link only libraries for those backends built-in libsane. As I'm not using
built-in backends, I simply removed them. This would need some autoconf
magic for a proper fix.
* 060-dont_detatch_after_join.patch: another one I sent the list. This was
discussed in list but not fix merged.
* 070-sane-backends-1.0.24-format-security.patch: this is from fedora. I
got a gcc error because the usage of -Werror=format-security. Current sane
git code is different from 1.0.24 and I did not checked calmly if it still
needed.

And there are more patches at fedora that might be interesting too:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/sane-backends.git/plain/

Regards,