[sane-devel] Disabling epson backend build

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Sep 12 11:15:57 UTC 2015

Hi Alessandro,

AFAICS, the epson2 backend claims to support all devices that are
supported by the epson backend.  To avoid confusing users, the latter
backend has been disabled in the dll.conf file since 2009-03-05.  That
corresponds to version 1.0.20.

I don't know what the various distribution do to the dll.conf file that
their packages install, but since the epson backend has been disabled by
default for five releases I was thinking to disable the backend's build
by default as well.

I checked the bug tracker but could not find any bugs assigned to the
(retired) epson backend maintainer after the backend was disabled in
dll.conf.  I did find one bug[1] assigned to you for the epson2 backend
for the Perfectinon 610 (which is admittedly rather ancient but the
epson2.desc file claims complete support for it!).

 [1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312913&group_id=30186&atid=410366

and think that Allan's comment from 2011-01-08 is to the point.

Based on some of the commits for epson2.desc, I can't help but get the
impression that you claim epson2 backend support for scanners without
much evidence.  That notwithstanding, how do you feel about disabling
the build of the epson backend by default?

Any mismatches between the epson2.desc file and the backend's support
status will of course be yours to fix ;-)

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join