[sane-devel] Canon CanoScan 4200F - Bad link

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:30:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Jászberényi Szabolcs
<jaszberenyisz at pagisz.hu> wrote:
> Sorry, I gave a bad link before. The correct one is:
> http://kultinf.gyor.hu/~szabolcs/sane-devel/

Hi,
Thanks for the update, looks like the latest sane-find-scanner does
not think it is a currently-known Genesys chip.
Since the scanner is old, it could be an older Genesys or similar
chip, or else something entirely different and unknown (see below).

Perhaps you could do a UsbSnoop scan under Windows XP (virtual one
under Windows 7 probably will work too) of the smallest area you can
possibly mark with the windows driver (probably something like 4mm by
4mm or so). Zip that up and send it directly to me by mail to have a
look at (the mailing list won't accept such large attachments).

UsbSnoop 1.8 for Windows XP:
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/
Notes on usage:
http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/usb/usbsnoop.txt

*If and only if* you are using WinXP, you might want to try a modified
from of UsbSnoop also, as a test---developed from the above 1.8 and
renamed SniffUSB:
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/

I look forward to hearing from you on this.

Look through the mailing archives also. Here is from 2010 some
information that the ML received (truncated, check the full one in the
archives):

----
from:René Kjellerup <rk.katana.steel at gmail.com> to:aikishugyo at gmail.com
cc:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:48 AMsubject:Re: [sane-devel] any sniff
volunteers unsupported Canon scanners: 4200F, 5200F, 9900F, 9950F

hi Gernot,

a few years back I worked on the 4200F and made these logs (5.1MB or
5341603 bytes)

my scanner broke /../
----

Reply from me:
----
from:Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com> to:René Kjellerup
<rk.katana.steel at gmail.com>
cc:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:25 AMsubject:Re: [sane-devel] any sniff
volunteers unsupported Canon scanners: 4200F, 5200F, 9900F, 9950F

Hi, the logs from the 4200F seems similar to those from the 5600F, and
maybe this is something like the canon630u backend protocol using the
GL640, judging by the 8-byte command sequences often beginning with
either 0x40 or 0xc0. Or maybe something else----I am not familiar with
that protocol.
/../
----

Final post in this thread (more in another one, below):

----
from:Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>
to:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:41 PMsubject:Re: [sane-devel] any sniff
volunteers unsupported Canon scanners: 4200F, 5200F, 9900F, 9950F

Dear all,

So far the 4200F has shown no sign of being a "pixma" device. I also
received logs for the 5600F which appear somewhat similar. Does anyone
know if this might be related to canon630u ?
/../
----

In a related thread, it was pointed out that there was (at that time)
too little information to tell what chipset was used, but the genesys
developer wrote that sane-find-scanner should be able to tell
(apparently the result is negative at this stage, but that does not
mean it is not a Genesys chip):

See this thread:
[sane-devel] New CanoScan 4200F, 5000F, 5600F backend?

Excerpts:
----
from:xy <abi1789 at googlemail.com> to:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:08 AMsubject:[sane-devel] New CanoScan
4200F, 5000F, 5600F backend?

/../
Obviously we should look at the Genesys backend first.
The home page is http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/genesys-backend/

The canon630u-backend is located at:
http://canon-fb630u.sourceforge.net/

and leads to this:
http://canonscanner.sourceforge.net/
----
from:m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> to:xy <abi1789 at googlemail.com>
cc:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:30 AMsubject:Re: [sane-devel] New CanoScan
4200F, 5000F, 5600F backend?

Some links:

http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html#S-UNSUPPORTED

which shows (among others)

http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-4200f.html
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-5000f.html
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-5200f.html
etc...

There really is not enough info here to determine which chip they all
use, but some variant of GL84x is possible...

Perhaps stef or pierre could determine this from sniffer logs.
----
from:m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> to:stef <stef.dev at free.fr>
cc:sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
date:Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:31 PMsubject:Re: [sane-devel] New CanoScan
4200F, 5000F, 5600F backend?
>        Hello,
>
>        I think it is easier to tell the exact genesys ASIC from the output of the
> latest version of sane-find-scanner. Or at least the full lsusb -v output.

Yeah- but I wrote the detection code for the later chips based on a
couple of rough guesses :)
----
There were posts from at least 2 other users wanting support in the
intervening time, but without results.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug