[sane-devel] hp3900: hp3800 noises, scan is off center

Samuel Rakitničan samuel.rakitnican at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:40:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a HP 3800 scanner using it with sane-backends 1.0.24. I was
wondering if what I am experiencing is normal.

On the scanner startup, before each new scan, there are weird loud noises
what I can describe as gears slipping. When scanner is in operation it is
working quietly. I recorded a quick video: https://youtu.be/Lv46PFfRhdk
using command: scanimage -d hp3900:libusb:002:003 -T

Second issue is that scans are slightly off center, which trims scanned
documents to much when aligned by top-right notch. While y axis is
tolerable, x axis is off quite a bit. I could not correct that using
options -l and -t scanimage because it would require negative values.

    -l 0..220mm (in steps of 1) [0]
        Top-left x position of scan area.
    -t 0..300mm (in steps of 1) [0]
        Top-left y position of scan area.