[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE 120 on Debian 9 Stretch

Franz Danzi franz.danzi at web.de
Mon Oct 2 20:03:47 UTC 2017

Hello.

I got my CanoScan LiDE 120 working on Debian 9 Stretch ... but it was
challenging and showed some weird sideeffects. That's why I report
feedback. Here is what I did - as far as I remember.

1. Privileges
In the file "/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules" I inserted the 2 lines
# Canon CanoScan LiDE 120
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="190e",
ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
Otherwise the scanner could only be accessed by root.

2. Interface
In the file "/etc/sane.d/genesys.conf" I inserted the 2 lines
# Canon LiDE 120
usb 0x04a9 0x190e
At some point the scanner was recognized but unknown.

3. USB Libraries
I installed every version of libusb I could find in the repositories.
libusb-0.1-4
libusb-1.0-0
libusb-1.0-0-dev
libusb-1.0-doc
libusb-dev

4. Driver support
Debian 9 comes with libsane 1.0.25-4.1 ... this seemed too old. So I
downloaded sane-backends-1.0.27.tar.gz from alioth.debian.org and
followed the usual method ./configure , make , make install.
Now the scanner responded but made nothing but unhealthy noise.
Somewhere in the process I also got all black pages but I guess this was
before the 1.0.27 backend was installed.

5. The weird behavior
Guessing into the blue I installed the following missing libraries:
libusbredirhost1
libusbredirparser1
Now the Scanner works fine. But these libraries have to be
installed/reinstalled AFTER the 1.0.27 backend. If they are already
present on the system when the driver is installed the scanner returns
only all white pages. I took the time to reproduce this and it's true! I
found this behavior weird...

6. A comment
file:///usr/local/share/doc/sane-backends/sane-backends.html
describes the CanoScan LiDE 120 as GL124+ based. sane-find-scanner on
the other hand reports a GL848+ Chip.
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190e [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:002:004

Hope this is helpful. Have a nice day!