[sane-devel] XSANE fails to detect any scanner.

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun May 6 05:03:42 BST 2018

Hi Aveek, Toshiya, Oliver, list,

suzuki toshiya writes:

> Checking Ubuntu-16.04.04 LTS, drivers are located in
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/, not /usr/lib64, as far
> as I use the binary packages by Ubuntu.

Correct.  Debian based distributions have rearranged where libraries
(and header files) are installed to add "multiarch" support.

See https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch for details.

> So, it looks correct. I'm afraid that your system
> mixes i386 binaries & amd64 binaries, or, something
> built by yourself. could you post more about your
> system?

> Aveek Basu wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This is Aveek from Lexmark - Driver Product Engineering team. It has
>> recently come to our notice that XSANE fails to detect our scanners

I expect the same result with *any* SANE frontend, not just XSane.

>> XSANE tries to read the driver files from /usr/lib/sane whereas the
>> files are present in /usr/lib64/sane. Due to this, XSANE is not able
>> to detect any scanner.
>>
>> This issue is being observed from Ubuntu 16.04. Could you please help
>> us understand if it is a bug or a change in behaviour.

You should see the same in Ubuntu 14.04 and perhaps even in 12.04 as
that is when the first multiarch changes started.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug in your binary packages.

Hope this helps,