[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds Canon Canoscan N24OU, scanimage -L does not

Terry Spearman tnspearman at twc.com
Tue Oct 30 13:34:00 GMT 2018

Gerhard Jäger wrote: "Are you talking about CanoScan N1240U? I'm pretty sure
that the Plustek Backend does not support any N24OU device..."

I am indeed talking about the Canon Canoscan N124OU.  My "N24OU" in the
header is a typo.  Sorry.

He also wrote, " Anyhow. Please try sane-find-scanner as root user."

sane-find-scanner gives me

"found USB scanner (vendor=0x4a9, [Canon], product=0x220e [Canoscan] at
libusb:001:002

# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected.  It may or may not be supported
by

#SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage"

regardless of whether I'm signed on as root or with my normal user sign in.
The difference is that when signed on with my usual sign-on I get additional
output about how it is unable to check other USB devices at different
locations due to insufficient permissions.  Additionally, running
sane-find-scanner -v -v as either as root or under my usual log on I still
get the message

<Couldn't determine the type of USB chip (result from sane-backends
1.0.24)>, although I get a lot of other information about the scanner. When
running sane-find-scanner in verbose mode as root I get additional output
regarding the devices that it was not able to check under my usual login.

Gerhard also wrote "Centos 7 and sane-1.0.24 are pretty old. Any chance to
move to a more recent version?"

As I mentioned previously, I'm a linux newbie, and my selection of Centos
was based on a relative's recommendation. I ran update a couple of days ago,
so it should be current. I'm not married to Centos, other than through fear
that by trying to change to something else I might be opening a can of
worms.  What would you suggest?  As for sane-1.0.24, I originally was not
aware that sane was available from the Centos repository, so I downloaded
and installed it as a tarball from the sane website.  I also installed
libusb via a similar mechanism.  I was not even able to get
sane-find-scanner to detect the N124OU with that setup.  I posted a plea for
help on a Centos 7 website, and the moderator suggested I uninstall
everything and install the Centos repository version via yum. I did so, and
now at least the scanner is detected by sane-find-scanner.  However I have
no objection to trying a tarball version again if it might solve my problem.

Gerhart asks about the contents of /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

A copy of my current file is attached.  It originally contained a long list
of various manufacturers and models, but in my attempts to get scanimage -L
to detect my scanner I commented out everything except "net" and "plustek"
in an attempt to force SANE to use the plustek backend.  I later uncommented
"canon_dr" because I saw something somewhere that this might be relevant to
the N124OU, but neither of these modifications were helpful.

The command "grep -v ^# /etc/sane.d/dll.conf" gives me the output:

net

canon_dr

plustek

Running the command " export SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=20 ; scanimage -L" gives me:

"No scanners were identified.  If you were expecting something different
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate).  Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages)."

I very much appreciate any and all efforts to help me solve this conundrum.