[sane-devel] [janitorial] post 1.0.28

Ralph Little littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 17:26:38 BST 2019

Hi Olaf,

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 6:26:43 a.m. PDT, Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Apart from that, I don't think we want to wait another two years or so
> for our next release.  I would like to see our next release in four to
> six months.  And the ones after that in a similar time frame.  How's
> that sound?

Sounds good!
Perhaps we should be thinking about a future schedule for releasing a version of xsane.
There are a lot of changes in the pipeline.
Who is the official maintainer of that now? It has not been released for a number of years.
And perhaps it is time for a version 1.0?

> Next, squatting all the
> compiler warnings on Debian 10.  I really would like to keep the build
> "clean" on Debian's stable.  Getting (and keeping) it clean on Alpine
> and Fedora are secondary targets.

I don't mind helping with that.
I will also be dealing with the compiler warnings from xsane. Many of those are warnings about ignoring return codes from I/O functions which seems like a pretty bad idea in general, and I assume many in the backends are going to be similar.

> For upstreaming of downstream patches, ditto.

I also am happy to look into this.
I have started the process for xsane.
If anyone could comment on my commit message style on the xsane repo, then I would welcome any suggestions, along with any pointers on what else should be included.

Cheers,
Ralph