[sane-devel] googletest dependency for unit tests on genesys backend

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Aug 11 05:06:22 BST 2019

Hi Povilas,

Povilas Kanapickas writes:

> Ping :-)

Having a hard time keeping up with everything :-/

> On 7/5/19 3:13 AM, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I propose to add googletest[1] as a dependency for running unit tests on
>> the genesys backend. It's one of the most popular testing frameworks for
>> C++ code and in my experience it's more convenient to use than the
>> competition.

I kind of liked Boost's UTF :-)
But that was used on a project that used a fair bit of Boost stuff
already.

I have also used cxxcheck in the distant past.  That was also quite
nice.

>> The benefits compared to the assert() testing style are
>> that the test run produces much more information on what the tests are
>> doing so the developer does not need to fire a debugger to figure out
>> what's wrong in case of failures. This will save a lot of time.
>>
>> What do you think about this? Since it's completely optional
>> developer-only dependency it should not affect anyone except the
>> developers of the genesys backend in any way.

As long as the dependency is optional for developers, I don't see any
reason to object.  If you want to integrate this with CI, just submit
an issue or, better yet, a merge request.

Hope this helps,