[sane-devel] Testing sane

Jeroen Van den Keybus jeroen.vandenkeybus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:45:42 BST 2019

Hi,

I would like to test a more recent version of sane, and I have encountered
2 issues:

1. For a backend, whereas I can simply overwrite the libsane-genesys.so...
in /usr/lib64, at least the gscan2pdf program gets an access denied (did
not get that with the original libsane-genesys.so.1.0.27). However, xsane,
skanlite, scanimage work fine. Is it supported to simply replace this
library, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong ? The original
libsane.so.1.0.27 from OpenSUSE is still in use. (libsane library is built
on the same machine, so the -devel lib versions match the other libs
actually installed)

2. If I would like to 'sudo make install' for testing. I need to uninstall
the original sane-backends for this, but the OpenSUSE pkg mgmt tool wants
to uninstall 21 dependent packages (including wine). Is this the only
option I have ? Obviously I will provide the lib directly afterwards, and
maybe reinstall sane-backends, but I want to avoid un- and reinstalling
these 21 packages if possible.

Thanks,

J.