[sane-devel] Brother DCP-J315W

David Brown davown2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 08:02:45 GMT 2020

Hi Guys,
Today, I needed a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.10 on my PC.  Unfortunately this blew up my printer drivers and worse still - my scanner drivers.  I use a Brother model DCP-J315W.
Brother provide drivers for Linux on their website but they have never worked correctly for the scanner in the past 5 years.  However, I have been able to work around that failure by editing the file 40-libsane.rules or 60-libsane.rules depending upon which era we operated.
This file does not seem to be the same in Ubuntu 20.10 and there may be a file called 20.sane.hwdb that needs to list my Brother device.
Can you please advise how I can get my Brother DCP-J315W added to the sane approved lists so that it can function under Ubuntu 20.10?
Regards David Brown Ph 03 9512 0782