[sane-devel] Unable to Build Sane Backends

Adam Richter adamrichter4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 04:23:33 BST 2020

Hi, Wes ald Ralph.

I am sorry for not noticing this thread earlier.  This is a known bug
with the .tar.gz source releases before 1.0.31 and is in the bug
tracking system at
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/248 .  1.0.31 should
build for you.

The issue is that the releases in a certain range of versions were
made from git snapshots which did not include ./configure and related
files that are normally built for a release, and the version of
configure.ac invokes "git describe --dirty" to figure out the version
number, which requires a .git directory tree, which is not included in
the .tar.gz source release.

Any of the following three solutions should work:
(a) edit autogen.sh to replace "[git describe --ditry]" with the
version number you want,
(b) build 1.0.31 instead,
(c) build from git clone (you can check out the versions using version
branch names, which you can see with "git branch -a").

I encourage you to report back if any of the above three options do
not work for you or if all are inadequate for your situation.

Adam