[sane-devel] Problem with new Canon iSensys MF746Cx

Andrea Croci andrea.croci at gmx.de
Tue Sep 15 16:35:51 BST 2020

Hello Loius,

Thank you for your reply. Avahi sees the scanner at Port 80. On ubuntu
20.04 I do have a newer version of SANE, with which the scanner works
with the escl backend. That's fine for now. The only problem is that the
options for the scanner are reduced to a very minimum (no brightness
control, for instance). On 18.04 (Desktop) I solved the problem by
installing the sane-airscan backend, which however has the same minimal
options as escl.

I would really love to see the day where Linux has a scanning program as
good as some of the proprietary programs for Windows: one that has all
the scanning options in one program (possibly selectable from a menu)
and ESPECIALLY that produces pdf files in the kB range instead of the
MB, like xsane does now (or did the last time I used it, about 10 years
ago).

Regards.