[sane-devel] Q: improving epson2 for Epson 12000XL

Wolfram Sang wsa at kernel.org
Thu Sep 17 20:38:45 BST 2020

Hi all,

thank you for SANE. We want to use it to scan a large collection of
astronomical photoplates. SANE allows us to script things nicely.

For that, I am currently working with an Epson 12000XL. And I have a few issues
/ questions regarding the epson2 driver:

a) The scanner reports level "B8". For "B8", allowed brightness levels are in
   the -4..3 range. However, my scanner returns -EINVAL for -4. To avoid that,
   I guess I need to check the model name and adapt the range accordingly?

b) It seems to me that set_focus is not working for this model because
   e2_set_extended_scanning_parameters() says "/* XXX focus */" and no byte in
   the buffer is filled with the focus value. Probably the location is unknown?
   And I'd need to snoop Windows USB traffic to (hopefully) figure it out?

c) 'focus' has only two options. 0mm and 2.5mm. The hex values are 0x19 apart.
   That being dec 25, it is tempting to try inbetween values. But I assume I'd
   need some evidence that those values are "officially OK" somehow?

So much for now, looking forward to hints / pointers.

Happy hacking,

   Wolfram