[sane-devel] DocketPORT 487 - Making loud noises

Mike Hansen ambirdev at outlook.com
Thu Feb 9 19:24:24 GMT 2023

I am head of development at Ambir, the manufacturer of this scanner.  That model has been out of production for over a decade.   It’s likely the unit is EOL and that clicking you are hearing is coming from the motor.   There are no belts, only gears in the unit and sure it’s possible the gears could be broken(not sure we’ve ever seen this failure mode) but more likely the motor is EOL.

If the SANE driver worked for it in the past and it’s not working now, it’s an EOL unit.   The control board is over a decade old and the SANE code is likely to be the same or older.

Also note that the SANE code did not come from Ambir nor do we endorse or support SANE development on those models.   I know that we have had discussions in the past about supporting SANE with the current models and may do so in the future.

I am supplying the above information so that you do not continue to put effort into the codebase for that model.  Also, if you want to check if the unit is EOL you are free to download the Windows drivers from docketport.com.