[sane-devel] sane-backend: Plustek U24 on M2 macs

Peter Koellner peter at asgalon.net
Thu Jul 27 13:13:22 BST 2023

Hi!

I have got a Plustek U24 flatbet scanner I have been using since more or less the stone age, between 2007 and 2019 I regularely used it with Linux desktops and a 2007 MBP. Recently, I had to replace the MBP.

scanimage on a devuan linux box works:

scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:001:009' is a Plustek OpticPro U24 flatbed scanner

scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.31-debian; backend version 1.0.31

scanimage -d 'plustek:libusb:001:009' -T -v
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: scanning image of size 202x150 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 606 bytes...	PASS
scanimage: reading one byte...		PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes... 	PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes... 	PASS

Trying the same, with the same device connected with a USB-C adaptor to the MBP M2 Max with macOS 13.5 (22G74), installed
with macports:

scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.31; backend version 1.0.31

scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:001:001' is a Plustek OpticPro U24 flatbed
scanner

scanimage -T -d 'plustek:libusb:001:001' -v
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: scanning image of size 202x150 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 606 bytes...	FAIL Error: Operation
was canceled

So the scanner is recognized, but somehow read fails while or after
warmup - it takes a while before the error shows up.

Any ideas? I wanted to do a bug report, but gitlab says my account is
blocked and I have no clue what "contacting your gitlab administrator"
means since there is no sensible contact information.

sudo port info sane-backends
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
sane-backends @1.2.1 (graphics)
Variants:             [+]avahi, escl, gphoto2, no_local, pnm, universal

Description:          These are the backends for the Scanner Access Now Easy project. They allow you to access various scanners either locally or remotely using saned.
Homepage:             http://www.sane-project.org/

Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig
Library Dependencies: libjpeg-turbo, libusb, net-snmp, tiff, zlib, libxml2, openssl, avahi
Platforms:            darwin
License:              GPL-2+
Maintainers:          none