[sane-devel] How to get "raw" RGB color values from scanner?

sane-devel.johnny1000 at spamgourmet.com sane-devel.johnny1000 at spamgourmet.com
Thu Nov 16 10:12:16 GMT 2023

Greetings :o)

I'm using xsane to scan with 48bit color depth (16bit per channel).
The scanner is a Canon CanoScan LiDE 400 scanner, which is driven by the
sane-pixma backend.

If I need to get the "raw" RGB colors when scanning, i.e the exact color
values that the scanner "sees", is my understanding then correct, that
what I have to do is:

In the main window:

Disable color management (in the menu "Preferences").
Set Gamma = 1.00.
Set Gamma Red = 1.00.
Set Gamma Green = 1.00.
Set Gamma Blue = 1.00.
Set Brightness = 0.00.
Set Brightness Red = 0.00.
Set Brightness Green = 0.00.
Set Brightness Blue = 0.00.
Set Contrast = 0.00.
Set Contrast Red = 0.00.
Set Contrast Green = 0.00.
Set Contrast Blue = 0.00.

In the "Standard options" window:

Disable "Use custom gamma table".
Disable "Gamma function exponent".
Set "Gamma function exponent" = 1.000.

I need the "raw" color values, for characterization and profiling of the
scanner, for producing a .icm/.icc color profile for color management.

Best regards :o)
Johnny :o)