[Simple-cdd-devel] How to use various repositories with simple-cdd?

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at freegeek.org
Wed Nov 11 23:54:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 06:51:29PM +0100, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> I finally got a working copy on lenny following the README on a freshly
> installed virtualbox.
>
> But I thought, it would take the repositories from /etc/apt/...
> like the sid part in the README, which seems to work.

it does no processing of anything in /etc/apt.

> But none of my packages from non-debian repositories was resolved.
> Additonally I have a preferences-file, where I rate a "foreign" repository
> higher, than the debian standard. It looks like all packages from debian
> standard have been resolved, so "my" packages will not work.

it just uses a hard-coded official repository, unless you use the
--debian-mirror, --security-mirror, --extra-mirror and/or --backports-mirror
commandline options.

it will always pull the newest available version of any packages needed.

how many do you need to pull from?

> If my task is too complex for simple-cdd, could you please shine me a light on
> downloading packages and resolving dependencies?

it's a fairly complex task.

simple-cdd approaches it by using reprepro to download the newest available
versions from configured repositories, and then checking to see if the
dependencies are resolveable (in a somewhat stupid manner), and then downloads
any missing dependencies.

edos-debcheck is very useful to test if a given set of packages have
unresolveable dependencies.

live well,
  vagrant