[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux4Kids apps on the Apple App Store?

Mark K. Kim markuskimius at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 14:00:02 GMT 2018

Hi there,

I currently maintain the Mac port for Tux Paint.

It's only available as a website download at the moment (here
<http://tuxpaint.org/download/macosx/>), but it has some problems I'd like
to resolve:

   1. The installation procedure is complicated
   <https://www.macworld.com/article/3094865/macs/how-to-run-apps-that-are-not-from-the-app-store-in-macos-sierra.html>
because
   the application isn't signed.
   2. I can sign it myself by registering as an Apple Developer but (a) it
   costs $99/yr registration fee and (b) my signing it will show my name in
   the signature instead of a more professional name like "Tux4Kids" or "Tux
   Paint developers"
   3. And the application isn't searchable on the App Store where many Mac
   users find new software.

#3 isn't too critical but easy to do once #1 and #2 are resolved.

   1. Has anyone done research into this already?
   2. Is Tux4Kids already registered in the Apple Developer program?
   3. Does Tux4Kids have a legal non-profit status in the U.S.? If so, The
   Apple Developer registration fee can be waived
   <https://developer.apple.com/support/membership-fee-waiver/>.

Thanks!