[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Working on the Chinese version of tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 23:04:14 UTC 2009

Hi Frederic,

>> Dear David,
>>
>> Checking (again)
>> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/tux4kids/tuxtype/trunk/po/#_tuxtype_trunk_po_
>> it
>> really appears that the pot file is currently missing.
>
> OK, I looked in the svn repository itself rather than my checked-out
> copy, and you're right - po/tuxtype.pot isn't saved in svn.  The
> reason is that it is auto-generated during the build process (like all
> the *.mo files).  If you build tuxtype from a svn checkout, you should
> have it. I'll attach it in an email when I am back at my own computer.

The template file is attached. Also, I've added it to svn. By the way,
it is included in the tarball, so that would be another way to find
it.

>> Also in lessons and phrase typing there are counters on the right side :
>> where can we translate Time, Sec, Chars, CPM, WPM, Errors and Accuracy.

Those are in the tuxtype.pot file.

>> Also note that Comet Zap instruction button is missing from the list
>> (only
>> the 4 different levels are accessible - already translated the xml file
>> with
>> the instructions though).

We might need to figure out a different way to display the
instructions - this is sort of leftover code from the previous
maintainer that I haven't studied all that carefully.

>> And finally (for now) in the project page the first screen seems cut off
>> before the end of the text not showing the license information and the
>> press
>> the spacebar to continue instruction.

The other issues I wanted to mention were:

1. Fonts - this is handled automatically on Linux by SDL_Pango, but
for Windows, BeOS/Haiku and OS-X we need to include a font to display
Chinese characters (at least until we get SDL_Pango working).  We use
fonts that are included in Debian/Ubuntu.  The exact font name needs
to be listed in your theme's settings.txt file.  I can take care of
adding the font itself if you can tell me what Chinese font is best.

2. Locale - the settings.txt file also needs to specify the desired
locale  - e.g.:

theme_locale_name= fr_FR.utf8.

We have used UTF-8 encoding for all the locales (and all the word
lists).  It is therefore possible for the translation to fail if the
user's computer lacks the exact locale specified by the theme - not
sure of the best way to make this more fail-safe.

Cheers,

David