[Vmdebootstrap-devel] vmdebootstrap generated sid images fail to boot on fsck error loop

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Thu Oct 16 18:55:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:57:07 +0200
Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> > This might be a regression from recent util-linux, or some
> > misconfiguration, or incompatibility with extlinux, not sure.
> > fsck.ext4 definitively exists (i. e. e2fsprogs is installed), and
> > /dev/vda1 also exists; it's also apparently able to map the root
> > UUID to /dev/vda1.
> [...]
>
> fsck.ext4 is not present in the initramfs, probably because
> initramfs-tools was installed before e2fsprogs.  Unfortunately, we
> cannot simply make initramfs-tools depend on the appropriate package
> because it depends on which filesystem is used for root.
>
> vmdebootstrap should install the kernel last so that all programs that
> may be wanted in the initramfs will be available when the initramfs is
> built.

Installing the kernel separately is awkward due to the extra
dependencies and a need to re-run debootstrap which is a slow task. Is
it sufficient to just run update-initramfs -u later in the process? It
works at this end (for extlinux & grub) with a small change to
vmdebootstrap.

This results in a process like:
$ sudo ./vmdebootstrap --verbose --image=sid.img --distribution=sid
--mirror=http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian --owner=neil
Creating disk
image Creating partitions Creating filesystem ext4
Mounting /dev/mapper/loop0p1 on /tmp/tmpyiZMML
Debootstrapping
Give root an empty password
Removing udev persistent cd and net rules
Setting up networking
Updating the initramfs
Installing extlinux
Changing owner to neil
Cleaning up
$

I've pushed the change to master, if this sounds ok, Ben, I'll upload
with this change.

--

Neil Williams