[Vmdebootstrap-devel] Namespace issues

Fathi Boudra fabo at debian.org
Sun Nov 8 13:11:32 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 10:40:36 +0100
> Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> nice to see you're interested in live-* stuff. however, please
>> consider renaming this package (and also src:live-support), it
>> invades/hijacks the Debian Live namespace.
>
> There is an explicit reason for this. vmdebootstrap is being extended
> explicitly to provide support for a replacement for live-build.

It's also hostile to an existing project and give the impression that
live-build is obsolete/deprecated/unmaintained.

> This work is happening within the debian-cd team to be able to solve the
> existing problems with live-build. These problems include reliability
> issues, lack of multiple architecture support and lack of UEFI support.
> vmdebootstrap has all of these, we do use support from live-boot and
> live-config as these are out of the scope for vmdebootstrap.

Which reliability issues precisely and where have they been discussed
publicly or even reported?
Lack of multiple architecture support? I'm using it successfully and
reliably on i386/amd64/armhf/arm64 architectures.
Can you expand on the missing UEFI support or provide some pointer on
what vmdebootstrap does? There's live-build users using UEFI with
live-build.

> It is also helpful that live-build-ng is written in python.

fwiw, live-* 5.x is re-written in python.