[Vmdebootstrap-devel] Deprecating extlinux

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Sun Jul 31 14:20:03 UTC 2016

I've just pushed a change which deprecates extlinux support in
vmdebootstrap, with the intention of changing the default bootloader in
vmdebootstrap to grub in a future release.

This is advance warning that scripts calling vmdebootstrap need to
explicitly use the --extlinux option or a future release will change
to using grub. (This will become a lot easier once Stretch is released
as Wheezy support can then be dropped - wheezy is the only current
suite which cannot use grub without manual intervention inside the
VM, at which point I may drop extlinux support entirely.) Bug #833057
may have something to do with why the deprecation is happening now.

The note I've added to the docs covers the reasons:

   Unlike grub, extlinux support requires the installation of
   packages outside the image which are used to install the extlinux
   bootloader inside the image. extlinux support also involves the
   use of ``sync`` which can cause issues on systems with multiple
   filesystems mounted, particularly over a network or when building
   multiple images simultaneously. Therefore, ``extlinux`` is (now)
   **deprecated** in vmdebootstrap. The default will change in a future
   release and ``extlinux`` support may be dropped once Stretch is
   released.

Neil Williams
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/