[Alioth-staff-replacement] The naming of the "Debian" gitlab group

Jonathan Dowland jmtd at debian.org
Tue Dec 26 23:37:22 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Firstly congratulations and thanks for getting salsa.debian.org to the
beta stage! This is really exciting and the rush of packages that have
been imported already show just how eager people are to use this
service.

I'm writing regarding the naming of the "Debian" group. I think it's
great that there is such a group; I'm a big believer in collaborative
maintenance, I used collab-maint for all of my own packages and intend
to use the Gitlab equivalent in the future.

However I've recently been thinking about "package-centric thinking" and
I believe that it can be a damaging perspective for Debian, which is
more than just a collection of packages. Gitlab can (and will) be used
to host repositories of sources other than package sources. Calling this
group "Debian" is package-centric. I would like to suggest you consider
renaming it before the service leaves beta. Simply calling it "Packages"
is one possibility.

Thanks again and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland