[Alioth-staff-replacement] Mailman (lists.alioth) data migration from old infra

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Wed Dec 27 17:22:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 05:33:44PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/27/2017 03:29 PM, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > Hi Alex et al,
> >
> > Sorry for the long hiatus between this and my previous messages. I had
> > some other things to take care of and to figure out how to proceed
> > without stepping on people's toes.
> >
> > I had some feedback from DSA that the http redirect and MX record
> > changes for lists.alioth.debian.org were possible, and so I'd like to
> > try and actually get this done in the next couple of months. I've
> > also determined based on feedback that trying to import all alioth
> > lists is probably not sensible as many of them are defunct/full of spam
> > - instead going for an opt-in approach.
> >
> > I summarised the current status at
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/MailingListContinuation>
>
> I still don't understand why you're planning on setting-up Mailman 2 and
> not the latest version 3. Can you explain the rationals? Also, there's
> other choices of managers, like MLMMJ. Did you consider it as an option?

The idea is to provide a simple migration of selected lists to provide
a bridge between the shutdown of alioth and other long-term options.
I am not considering any new functional requirements, and so it does
not really make sense to spend a lot of time on evaluations of
alternatives and the more complex migration process that would be involved.

As far as the specific options you mention, mlmmj is by no means a drop-in
replacement for Mailman, and Mailman 2 and Mailman 3 are very different
projects. As far as I know, Mailman 2 will continue to be maintained
for the foreseeable future, so I have no particular concerns there.

Cheers,
Dominic.