[Aptitude-devel] Whoops, safe-upgrade interacts with resolver step limits

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Fri Mar 12 08:44:44 UTC 2010

  I just realized why safe-upgrade was randomly failing on very
non-upgraded systems: the upgrade logic is now running into the
limits on how many steps the resolver can run!  I'm not quite sure
why I didn't see this before, but I think it merits an update.
I'm currently looking at significantly increasing the default step
cutoff; while I could exempt safe-upgrade, there's a reason I have
the limit (to avoid eating all the memory on the system); I just need
to increase it to a level where it won't be hit any time soon.

  In the meantime, you can work around this by adding

     -o aptitude::problemresolver::steplimit=50000

  to the aptitude command-line.

  Daniel