[Aptitude-devel] Offer to translate aptitude-doc in Italian

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Wed Mar 14 18:00:34 UTC 2012

Quoting beatrice (beatricet at libero.it):
> Hello,
>
> I am one of the members of the Debian Italian localization team.

I think I heard about you..:-)

(for others, this is a little pun, here: Beatrice activity is very
visible in italian l10n as she's sending tons of bug reports for
various translations....)

> I realized there is no aptitude-doc-it package. I already asked [1] in our
> localization mailing list if anyone else was working on an Italian
> translation or if anyone was interested in working on one.
>
> I, and another volunteer, would be happy to translate aptitude-doc in
> Italian.
>
> I don't know if such a translation would be welcome and how you manage
> the translation work. I saw some .po files for other languages in the
> source package, but no .pot template file. I saw also what I think it's
> an .xml source in English.

Yeah, the POT file being a generated file, some developers prefer not
storing such files in a VCS. I personnally disagree with that as it
makes the life of translators more complicated but I usually avoid
arguing too much about that.

For aptitude, you indeed need to run "./configure" in the top-level
tree and then "make from the doc directory should, among other magic
stuff, regenerate the POT file.