[Babel-users] Ahcpd update in OpenWrt (quick HOWTO)

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat Jun 12 10:11:35 UTC 2010

(Sorry for the delay, I'm only now catching up on my e-mail after my
 stay in Italy.)

> OK. But what is then difference with running a [a DHCP server] on
> every node [...] where every node has its own IPv4 pool for clients?

You're right.  The only advantage of AHCP over DHCP is that clients and
server don't need to be neighbours -- AHCP messages can be forwarded
over multiple hops, while DHCP messages are link-local only.

Obviously, having fewer servers reduces the robustness of the mesh in
case of catastrophic failure, but that's something the network
administrator can control -- it is possible to have fewer or more
servers, depending on the desired tradeoff between robustness and
simplicity of administration.

Perhaps off-topic, Henning and I have discussed the idea of
"meta-servers" that feed address ranges to the AHCP servers using prefix
delegation.  (My plan for prefix delegation is to have AHCP servers feed
DHCP servers located in plain, non-mesh access points.  But that's
a different fairy tale.)

                                        Juliusz