[Babel-users] New port for Babel

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 10 09:24:12 UTC 2011

Dear all,

As some of you may know, I'm going to have to change the IANA-allocated
port for Babel, since the current assignment (6697) conflicts with
IRC/SSL, and it turns out that the RFC-Editor prefers to keep port
numbers separate.  (Yes, that means issuing a new RFC.  Sigh.)

I'd really like not to have to go through that again, so I'd like your
help with making sure that the new port I choose is really not being
used for anything important.

I'm thinking of requesting 6696, which doesn't seem to be used by
anything (before you ask: 666 is already taken).  If you have a little
time, could you please give me a hand and check that 6696 is really not
being used by anything?

It's not too urgent, but I'd like to make the new assignment in time for
the next release of tcpdump and wireshark.  (The Babel parser is
included in the current tcpdump beta, 4.2.0, and in the wireshark trunk.)

Thanks for your help,

-- Juliusz