[Babel-users] ahcp ipv6 prefix delegation?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 18:03:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> I went looking to see how ahcpd did it, only to discover that it only
>> sort of did, in that there is some support for client side delegation
>> but no server side support in the code at present.
>
> That's right.  I've been planning to implement it on the server side,
> but other things have been coming up.

No worries.

>> Am I intuiting the intent correctly?
>
> Yes, except that there are tricky policy issues you appear to be
> ignoring.

No, I was simplifying those out for purposes of clarifying the first
bit. I glad that I understood the intent in that part of the state
machine.

I am as of this month, rather painfully aware of how dhcpv6-pd does
it, and all the intricacies required.

As one of many examples of tricky policy issues, I don't see a way how
to do ahcp-pd right without all the servers maintaining some shared
global state and/or potentially naking or adding a state like "I can
help you but perhaps someone else has better data, get back to me
later" - to an initial pd request.

Then there's ugh - security. Then the relay problem... ah, I shant go
into it further.

However I note that thinking about the pd problem with a clean slate
such as ahcp, rather than the decades of accumulated crutft that is
dhcp, is helping to clarify my thinking, and thank you for that.

--
Dave Täht
SKYPE: davetaht