[Babel-users] ahcp ipv6 prefix delegation?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat Apr 7 12:47:23 UTC 2012

>> I've been planning to implement it on the server side, but other
>> things have been coming up.

> No worries.

Let me know if you have plans to do something with it, and I can reorder
my todo list.

> As one of many examples of tricky policy issues

As usual, Dave, you're overcomplicating things.  It's not *that* bad.

> I don't see a way how to do ahcp-pd right without all the servers
> maintaining some shared global state

No, the address space is partitioned between servers, there's no shared
state.  That's an important design criterion.

> and/or potentially naking or adding a state like "I can help you but
> perhaps someone else has better data, get back to me later" - to an
> initial pd request.

That's done on the client side.  When a client receives an OFFER from
a server, it can decide whether the offer is good enough (in which case
it sends a REQUEST), or whether it prefers to continue the
increasing-diameter search.

> Then there's ugh - security.

Yeah, but that's orthogonal to policy -- AHCP, just like DHCP, is
a completely insecure protocol.  (You may have a strict policy in an
insecure system, as you can have a lax policy that's enforced securely.)

> Then the relay problem

Eh?  What relay problem?

-- Juliusz