[Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:03:41 UTC 2012

Hi!

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> without asking us for permission.
>
> I find that rude.

This is the whole point of free software and culture movement: that
you can do things with the work without having to ask the author for
permission. That author states the rules and you can then do whatever
you want without asking for permission if you play by that rules. This
is *the main idea*. If you find this rude, then, sorry, you do not get
the philosophy. Then you still live in the world of copyright where
everything should be allowed by the copyright holder.

And as far as I understood, they have contacted you. So they are doing
even more then required. Required in the legal sense and also moral
sense: because it cold be also morally implied that you accept GPLing
your code because you licensed it initially in the way you did.

For me this is a bit funny, very similar happened at our university,
when professor gave his code under GPL, he didn't want to be bothered
with this "earthly" things like licensing, just wanted code there. And
then once somebody used this commercially he discovered that he does
not like somebody benefiting from the code without he getting anything
from that. He really found that rude. Not paying him? How they dare!

Mitar