[Babel-users] Question about Babel

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Fri Apr 13 08:38:11 UTC 2012

Hi Juliusz,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:47:46PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> BATMAN is a commercial project, and the BATMAN people try to solve their
> customers' problems in a timely manner.  Babel is a research project,
> and as such it tries to do things right, which often takes more time
> than implementing a quick hack to solve a customer's issue.  Hence,
> unless you're interested in spending the time needed to design the right
> thing to do, you might be more happy with BATMAN, which I'm sure is
> a fine routing protocol.

I just want to point out that BATMAN is an open source project and every person
can do whatever he wants for whatever reason (since the license allows you to do
it - but I think you already knew it). The client roaming implementation is the
ultimate result of a research projected driven by the University of Trento [1],
and actually there are also other people doing research on BATMAN [2].

Cheers,

[1] http://eprints.biblio.unitn.it/2269/
[2] http://downloads.open-mesh.org/batman/papers/batman-adv_network_coding.pdf

--