[Babel-users] Quagga-RE proceedings: Babel

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Sun Oct 7 13:10:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 02:17:02PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> >> That happens sometimes.  Here's an archive link:
> >>
> >>  http://mid.gmane.org/761001348750804@web8g.yandex.ru
> >
> >> I believe that you have made a mistake by not giving proper credit
> >> to Matthieu, and I am most respectfully asking you to fix that
> >> mistake.
>
> To summarise: the integration of Babel into Quagga is entirely the work
> of Matthieu Boutier, who happens to be my grad student.  As a grad
> student himself, Paul Jakma is well aware how important it is for grad
> students to receive full credit for their work; notwithstanding that, he
> committed Matthieu's work under his own name.
>
> Git has powerful history-rewriting facilities,

No, it doesn't.  Git has the capability to rewrite the history and in
the process __break every other person's references to the tree__.

I will absolutely veto any attempt to rewrite the git history of 206
commits --including the 0.99.21 release tag-- in Quagga's master branch.

> so I have most respect- fully asked Paul to fix that mistake.  The
> previous lengthy mail is Paul's explanation why he intends to do
> nothing.
>
> The integration of Babel into Quagga is entirely the work of Matthieu
> Boutier, who deserves full credit for that highly technical piece of
> work.

Yes, and he is correctly stated and credited as author in all of the
babeld source files.

> Matthieu's work was carefully reviewed by Denis Ovsienko and
> committed into Quagga-RE under Matthieu's name.  For some reason, the
> patch authorship was changed when the patch migrated from Quagga-RE into
> Quagga mainline; this should not be taken to imply that the work was
> done by anyone else than Matthieu Boutier.

"For some reason" was explained to you, namely the license was changed
for safety reasons during import.  If the commit had Matthieu as author,
it'd be a misrepresentation of this process.  Especially since we're
talking about legal issues here, it is important to keep track of who
made this change -- and that was Paul.

You keep ignoring all arguments and explanations that are made against
your position.  I feel that this discussion is very fruitless.

-David