[Babel-users] Babel authentication I-D version 04

Denis Ovsienko infrastation at yandex.ru
Fri Sep 27 10:07:07 UTC 2013

List,

the next (04) revision of the Babel authentication I-D is available at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ovsienko-babel-hmac-authentication-04

Technical improvements are as follows.

* The previous revisions missed the case of IPv4 exchange of Babel datagrams, which is valid according to RFC6126 even if not currently implemented.
* The two mandatory-to-implement hash algorithms are now RIPEMD-160 and SHA-1 (they were SHA-512 and Whirlpool). The thinking behind this is based on HMAC-specific considerations (see Section 2.1), protocol encoding footprint and processing throughput.
* Any TS/PC TLVs in a packet besides the 1st are now considered a violation.
* The TS/PC and HMAC TLVs don't have to be the last in the sequence, although that is the recommended implementation approach (now with a diagram and an explanatory note).

To my best understanding, the current code base of Quagga-RE babeld complies with the new revision.

Thank you.

--
    Denis Ovsienko