[Babel-users] SIGHUP shouldn't kill babeld

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Sep 27 21:21:54 UTC 2013

> I don't believe SIGHUP should kill a process either. I think it
> should have the effect of 'rebooting' it (reread the configs,
> confirm connections, etc) but not die.

The problem, Shawn, is that logging-out sends SIGHUP to the process
group or session that is being shut down.  If SIGHUP doesn't cause
Polipo to quit, then a Polipo running in a terminal will not be shut
down when you log out.

I fully agree with Gabriel -- having Polipo's behaviour on SIGHUP
depend on an unrelated flag (-D) would be confusing.  And I fully
agree with Julien -- if your log management system is unable to send
SIGUSR2 instead of SIGHUP, then you're doing something wrong.

So, after applying to this issue the decision strategy described in
Book 1, Chapter 133 of Herodotus' Histories, I have decided to keep
the current behaviour.  Sorry for that.

-- Juliusz