[Babel-users] Some minor incompatible changes to the configuration language

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Jul 31 16:19:03 UTC 2016

I've just pushed some changes that could, in some edge cases, break your
configuration files.  Since I'd like to release 1.8 before the end of the
summer, I'll be grateful if you could test.

First of all, the keyword "wired" is now deprecated (undocumented but
supported for backwards compatibility), you should now say

    interface eth0 type wired

or

    interface wlan0 type wireless

Possibel types are "auto", "wired", "wireless" and "tunnel", where
"tunnel" enables RTT-based cost estimation.

Split-horizon is *disabled* on interfaces of type "auto", so if you want
split-horizon, you should manually set the interface type.  I'm hesitating
to enable link-quality estimation on auto interfaces -- it would avoid
some wrong configurations, but it carries a significant cost.

The second change is that setting max-rtt-penalty no longer enables
timestamps.  This particular bit of DWIM is no longer necessary now the we
have the tunnel interface type.

I'll be grateful for testing.  I'll also be grateful for any suggestions
that make the interface configuration more automatic.

-- Juliusz