[Babel-users] Mapping the global status?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Jun 3 17:32:50 UTC 2016

> As far as I know, babel offers all events through its local port, while
> kill -USR1 $PID outputs babeld's current tables (btw. does it print all
> routes received or just the chosen ones?).

All of them.  The chosen ones are marked "installed".

(Babeld will actually discard some routes, you can disable this
optimisation by setting the "keep-unfeasible" option.  It's a good idea to
set this option on nodes you use for monitoring.)

> However, this is just local information not providing a view on the
> global network.

No single node has global information in a Babel network -- nodes only
know in which direction to push packets, that's all they need.

> Are you aware of any tools for displaying or mapping the global status?

There's babelweb, that displays the two-hop topology and can monitor
multiple nodes simultaneously:

  https://github.com/kerneis/babelweb

There's a live demo online, but it's broken right now:

  http://babelweb.wifi.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr:8080/

-- Juliusz