[Babel-users] Use of nl80211/netlink vs. ioctl

Ronald Phillips rphillips at quavant.com
Tue Jun 14 18:52:07 UTC 2016

Greetings:

I’m looking to run babel & shncpd over a WPA/WPA2 encrypted ad-hoc mesh via wpa_supplicant version 2.5 which has this support.  I have a functioning network that works fine over either an open ad-hoc mesh or one encrypted using WEP.  When I turned on WPA via wpa_supplicant the traffic between the mesh units stops.

Looking at the net.c code it appears the babel_send & babel_recv routines are using the ioctl and sockets to send and receive data vs. nl80211 & netlink interprocess communication interface which is what wpa_supplicant and iw make use of.

1.       Am I correct in my thinking that the use of ioctl & sockets vs. nl80211 & netlink is why the traffic just stops once I turn on WPA with wpa_supplicant?

2.       Any alternatives for getting a WPA encrypted mesh working other than OpenVPN or the like?

3.       Is anyone working on tranitioning Babel & Shncpd to nl80211 & netlink or should I start thinking about taking this on?

Thanks, Ron