[Bash-completion-devel] roadmap ?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jun 8 18:01:43 UTC 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> > Hello list.
> >
> > According to our roadmap,
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/BashCompletion/Proposals/Roadmap, we still
> > have to finish splitting completions in individual files, and also to
> > review existing completions.
>
> We finished 2.b (rewieving), and we almost finished 2.a (splitting). We
> just have the following completions to split:
> - freebsd kldload and kldunload
> - freebsd portinstall and portupgrade
> - slackware removepkg
> - look -> contrib/util-linux-ng
> - id -> contrib/coreutils
>
> I'd like to finish it, but I don't know how to name the file for the
> fist ones...

I dug up some info from http://www.freshports.org/ and
http://packages.slackware.it/ and split the FreeBSD and Slackware things based
on those findings.  Go ahead with "look" and "id" when you feel like it.

> On our agenda, the point 3 is to merge bash-completion-lib's test suite.
> However, I feel like it's gonna take some time, and will only concerns a
> few people here. I'd rather have a release right now (bash-completion
> 2.0), and insert into our calendar shorter developement steps:
> - drop bash 2.0 compatibility stuff
> - adopt a new setup (installing stuff somewhere, parsing them elsewhere)
> - adopt a new syntax policy (I really feel tab-based indentation is way
> to cumbersome, see contrib/openssl for instance)
>
> Basically, it means re-ordering points 3, 4 and 5 in our current
> roadmap, and expanding point 5.

I have no problems with this plan (although I have a pile of fairly innocent
patches that I'd like to see go in the next release, more on that in a
separate mail).  But the test suite sure would be nice to have, and I have no
idea how much work adopting that would be - if not too long, stick with the
plan to include it in the next release.  Freddy?

Regarding syntax/indentation policy, I think it'd be good to just do a poll
like with the SCM choice.  David?  (Can't help plugging my favourite here,
sorry ;): indent step 4, tab width 8, mixed spaces/tabs; or indent step 4,
spaces only.)