Diminishing the load on specific bugtrackers

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Mon Jun 8 12:26:06 UTC 2009

Hi.

I'm not exactly sure how exactly to improve bts-link WRT the load it
creates on the bugtrackers, as I haven't checked the code again, but I
think maybe it would be interesting to add an (optional) configuration
option for each specific bugtracker defined in the conf file so that
some sleep times could be specified in the case some of them would
complain or blacklist.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe in the case of several source packages for
which bugs are present in the same bugtracker, maybe we have several
threads target the same actual bugtracker at once... which could cause
the overloading problems ?
Or the problem is some kind of duplicates in the conf file, for
bugtrackers looking different, but actually hosted on the same server ?

Maybe the multi-threaded status checks should be done WRT the actual
target bugtrackers distinction (based on URLs or IPs ?)

Maybe I missed the way it works currently. Comments ?

Btw, I seldom ran bts-link on my machines, and I suppose we should make
it (as a tool, not as a service) able to run on several hosts not
necessarily physically on Debian machines, maybe with a default so as to
be less aggressive than when run on Debian machines ?

This would help for tests, in-house bug-tracking, derivative distros,
etc.

Regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>