[buildd-tools-devel] Testing of schroot 1.3 unionfs support

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Jul 27 22:35:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 06:18:47PM -0400, Tim Abbott wrote:
> Roger,
>
> I should be able to test schroot's new unionfs support sometime this week
> (as I've been running the pre-merge patches for some time now), though I
> can't do it today.  It looks like there were some changes to how one
> configures (unionfs) chroots, so I'll need to do some translation from the
> old code first.

> If I understand the new documentation, these should be the only things I
> need to do to migrate the schroot configuration:
>
> (1) the run-exec-scripts and run-setup-scripts options were deprecated and
> should be deleted

Yes.  exec scripts have been completely removed.  setup scripts are always
run for all chroot types except "plain".  The options are allowed for
backward compatibility, they just get ignored.

> (2) The unionfs patch's (never merged) "fs-union-type" is now called
> "union-type"

Yes.  The only name change was dropping the "fs-" prefix.  The options
are all documented in schroot.conf(5).

> I hope to do this testing before the end of the week.  Feel free to bug me
> on Friday if I've not sent mail with the results of said testing by then.

This will be very much appreciated, thanks!

Note that all of the user-visible changes should be in NEWS.  Also, due
to the changes in the setup scripts, if you want to run it in parallel
with an existing schroot installation, you might find it convenient to
install into an alternate location when configuring using
--prefix=/test-location, and then you can run /test-location/bin/schroot.
If you do this, --enable-static --disable-shared will avoid any issues
with the run-time linker.

If you run into any issues, please let me know!

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh