[buildd-tools-devel] buildd-0.61.0 + lenny

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Tue Mar 8 10:12:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 10:11:01PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> By the way, how long will the buildds be expected to run lenny for?

For the dropped architectures at least until Lenny is EOL (which would
with current plans be in a year).

> While the one-off backport of various Dpkg modules was do-able, it's
> not something I would like to do again, and I would like to make use
> of additional libdpkg-perl functionality in the future.  I had to do
> some serious gutting of the Dpkg modules in order to get the
> module inter-dependencies sane enough to make backporting possible, and
> there is a chance bugs were introduced here [I'm happy with the
> existing backport, but repeated, it's increasing the risk.]
>
> I also noticed that the whole property system we have in Sbuild::Conf,
> Buildd::Conf etc. with defaults, overridable get/set, parsing, etc.
> is is essentially re-implementing the functionality already present in
> the Moose object/type system.  Given the widespread use of Moose in the
> Perl world, it would make some sense to adopt it due to the fact that
> it has much better testing, has much cleaner syntax, and would
> generally improve the readability and maintainability of our code.
> However, we would require squeeze at a minimum to support this (lenny
> only has a few of the modules, and they are very old).

I'd like not to branch for Lenny if at all possible.  At least currently
*no* buildd except the freebsd ones are running Squeeze.  It's possible
that we might run the dropped arch buildds with older software, which
isn't updated anymore.  But that'd also mean doing changes twice if they
need to be done everywhere.  I'd like to avoid that.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern