[buildd-tools-devel] buildd-0.61.0 + lenny

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Mar 7 22:11:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:26:19PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 10:13:38PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > Hi Roger,
> >
> > so buildd-0.61.0 seems to be in a state which might barely work.  Sadly, for
> > further testing (and future deployments), I *need* Lenny compatibility.
> > Currently those two dependencies cause it to be uninstallable on Lenny:
> >
> >  libsbuild-perl depends on schroot (>= 1.4.12); however:
> >   Version of schroot on system is 1.2.2-0+lenny1.
> >  libsbuild-perl depends on libdpkg-perl (>= 1.15.5); however:
> >   Package libdpkg-perl is not installed.
> >
> > Workarounds (I wouldn't mind them guarded with --enable-compat) would be
> > appreciated.  The resulting package should work on both squeeze and lenny but
> > should only be compiled once for both.  OTOH I don't mind duplication of
> > dpkg-perl into buildd-0.61.0 if it helps us and if it doesn't clash with
> > the system implementation.
>
> I already did this work prior to the squeeze release; it's on the
> buildd-merge2 branch.  I can pick the needed patches off that branch
> for you, and IIRC they were already guarded with --enable-compat on
> that branch.
>
> Which branch would you like them on?  buildd-0.60.1?
>
> I can do this tomorrow if you like.

By the way, how long will the buildds be expected to run lenny for?

While the one-off backport of various Dpkg modules was do-able, it's
not something I would like to do again, and I would like to make use
of additional libdpkg-perl functionality in the future.  I had to do
some serious gutting of the Dpkg modules in order to get the
module inter-dependencies sane enough to make backporting possible, and
there is a chance bugs were introduced here [I'm happy with the
existing backport, but repeated, it's increasing the risk.]

I also noticed that the whole property system we have in Sbuild::Conf,
Buildd::Conf etc. with defaults, overridable get/set, parsing, etc.
is is essentially re-implementing the functionality already present in
the Moose object/type system.  Given the widespread use of Moose in the
Perl world, it would make some sense to adopt it due to the fact that
it has much better testing, has much cleaner syntax, and would
generally improve the readability and maintainability of our code.
However, we would require squeeze at a minimum to support this (lenny
only has a few of the modules, and they are very old).

Regards,
Roger
--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh