[buildd-tools-devel] new buildd dependency resolution breaks self depends?

Wesley W. Terpstra terpstra at debian.org
Tue Mar 29 17:54:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:

> Note that in unstable you don't see the arch arch all version
> until the arch any version is also available.  Or you would see
> the old arch all version until the new arch any version is
> available.

That's great! My thanks to whomever had the foresight to prevent this
temporary dependency breakage for all->any dependencies. I guess this would
otherwise have annoyed unstable users for packages that had yet to be built
for their architecture..?

This means that the version from unstable should always be
> installable, unless there is some other reason it's not like
> a transition of some other library.

Yes, the libgmp3-dev -> libgmp-dev transition already bit me this way. I
assumed I was in for more of the same with the self dependency.

The problem is that the buildds currently also see the newer
> arch all version.  But this version will go away after some
> time and it will only see the version from unstable.

If I may ask, for what purpose do the buildds have a special list of
packages above and beyond those in unstable?

The new version of mlton-basis will only be visible to the buildds
> for about a day, after which they should have no problem building
> it.

Thank god. :)