[cut-team] snapshot frequency

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Sep 10 01:12:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:03, Joey Hess <joeyh at debian.org> wrote:
> But, what if a new cut snapshot were made every month, say on the first
> Saturday of the month?

My concern is that it'd mean (as a user) you'd have to worry about
major functionality changes fairly frequently. Assuming 2 year stable
cycles:

 - 1 month CUT cycle = 1-23 updates before hitting stable
 - 3 month CUT cycle = 1-7 updates before hitting stable
 - 6 month CUT cycle = 1-3 updates before hitting stable

For me, dealing with 7 major updates (including the final switch to
the next stable release) sounds feasible, 23 sounds really annoying.

By "major update" I mean, something where release notes are useful.
For security updates, you can use unattended-upgrades, for stable
point releases you maybe do it by hand, but still don't worry; but
after a month's development of testing, there's good odds something
significant has changed that might require some human intervention
(even if it's just monitoring config file changes).

For the moment, I don't think picking an exact day in advance (first
Saturday) is feasible; though by, say, the 3rd CUT release, it sounds
like an excellent idea to me.

Cheers,
aj

--