[D-community-discuss] current status / plan update

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Sat Mar 3 15:53:54 CET 2007

Hi,

the fosdem talk went well and I got quite a lot of good+interesting+insightful
feedback, of which I took some notes :)

The video itself will be available today (but not *yet*) on
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2007fosdem/ - first in
low quality ogg theora, later today or tomorrow also in high quality ogg.
(And please excuse me talking so fast... I was a bit in a hurry to finish in
time because the camera had to leave when the talk was scheduled to end.)

The slides are at
http://layer-acht.org/slides/20070225-debian-community.org-prelaunch.odp
and .pdf

One of the most important feedbacks for me was, that the idea(s) are good, but
they need further thinking and writing down the procedures.
Which also means the timeline I outlined in the slides is not gonna work.
(Which I consider a feature now. Rather do it properly than in a hurry.)

Roughly I came to the conclusion, that debian-community.org should have a NM
(new member) process :-) (But, it should not take as long as in Debian,
rather the opposite, maybe it can show, that NM doesnt have to be long and
bureucratic..)

The steps are^wcould be:

0. Use Debian
1. Signup for debian-community.org, that is, create your own wiki page, where
you track your contributions
2. If you have contributed, you can get on planet.CC.d-c.org
3. If you have contributed more, you can get an email address.
4. ...?

How much+what one needs to contribute, needs to be defined. I also think that
contributions should neccesarrily be continuesly to stay on planet or keep
the email address. (The latter with a bigger buffer and a 5xx-SMTP error
message saying how to contact the person after the account was removed.)

I'm not sure, if commit access to d-community should be put in this list or
how to handle this.

But as said, this needs to be written down in more details. (Note to self:
watch the video myself... (because of said feedback))

For t-shirts, I think we should go two ways: a.) setup a t-shirt-shop on some
t-shirt-service-website and b.) link to other vendors. Requirement for all
t-shirts: the design must be DFSG free :-)

More about the CMS to choose for the content in another mail. I've also not
forgotten the other mails on the list, but maybe I'l reply to them tomorrow,
as today is saturday and I dont intend to spend the whole day in front of the
computer ;-)

regards,
	Holger