[D-community-discuss] knowledge base structure

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 21:55:03 CET 2007

Chris Lale wrote:

> Nicolas Dietrich wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> It's just hard to realize further ideas, because
>>  * i'd like to split content in small atomic nodes (which are
>> adressable, embeddable, localizable)
>>  * and allow different views on it (created semi-automatic).
>>
>> but
>>  * there are no smaller content nodes than wiki pages
>>  * but wiki pages are the only view and you want to get more than one
>> atom of information on a page.
>>

> An interesting idea! Are you saying this? Each article is an ordered
> collection of irreducible, but standalone, atoms of documentation
> ("nodes"). A particular node may be reused within many different
> articles. (An article is a leaf of the tree.) The articles are not
> modified directly but by editing the nodes.
>
> You can do this sort of thing in Mediawiki - it is called transclusion.

I've now constructed an example on NewbieDOC:
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Help:Sandbox#How_to_install_a_package_.28atomic_nodes_version.29

It is a fragment of an article explaining how to install a package. It
consists of 4 atomic nodes ("Templates" in MediaWiki). I have written
the first 3 templates. The 3rd template includes a variable so that you
can pass it the name of any application to install when you re-use it in
a different article.

--
Chris.