design / ikiwiki (was Re: [D-community-discuss] HTML/CSS mockup of D-C.org site)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Mar 12 12:29:52 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:25:59 +1100
"Andrew Donnellan" <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/12/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> > The right margin is overflowed a bit.
>
> Doesn't happen on Konqueror, although I do have a smaller font setting.

Well, the problem is fixed today.  Thanks to whoever fixed it.

> Either reduce your font size or get a bigger screen (or resize your
> VNC session :) I don't really think we need to support very small
> screens any more - and those who are stuck with them can reduce their
> font size, switch off CSS or similar.

Most web sites look fine.  Occasionally I do reduce font size to help
with problems like this, but on the whole I don't have to worry about
it.

VNC in Debian doesn't yet have XRANDR support so VNC can't be resized on
the fly (I mean to help out with #366493 but haven't gotten around to
it).

Not just older hardware has limited screen dimensions, like
my old Thinkpad 570, but also newer, such as the Nokia 770/870/880.  So
don't get too comfortable thinking that making web sites look good on
smaller displays is a thing of the past.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org