Announcing Debian Package Tags

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs@computer.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:23:24 +0200

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:55:22PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> The size of Debian increases, and the Sections: system has proven unable =
> scale to keep pace with it.  There has been much consensus around a multi=
ple
> tags per package solution, and now, yes, it has become a reality.
(...)

Have you considered using TFIDF (or similar) based tools in order to
generate and maintain the tag database? [1] I considered this concept a
while back (and developed a crude hack 'dpkg-iasearch') Analysing package
descriptions and automatically extracting "clusters" of related packages
would be something that would be made more easily with these kind of
techniques (implemented in the 'bow' library).

That's just my 2c, I consider this a wonderful job you are doing!

Regards

Javi

[1] One of the difficult things in the future might be to generate new tags
or associate new packages to tags already available. Automatising (sp?)=20
this would be useful and TFIDF (and similar IA-related techniques) help
with this quite a lot.

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y--